Saturday, December 11, 2010

Wok 'n Fire

As you may have read below, the restaurant is located in confusing downtown Elmhurst.  The reason I say confusing is because if you're heading South from North Ave on York Rd, it stops and becomes a One-Way with cars pointing at you... Nevertheless, keep some extra time if and when you head down there in case you get confused like I did.  Once you find it, you wont be disappointed, if you share the same views as I do at least.  In case you have never had the pleasure of dining with me, you will come to know through my blogs, I am not the pickiest when it comes to the decorations or the ambiance.  This is not to say I don't appreciate it, but its not a deal-breaker for me.  For example, I'll go to a dhaba (run down cabbie joint) on Devon just because I hear there is some excellent food to be had.  When you first step aside, you are greeted by traditional Asian decorations including budhha statues and oriental scriptures on the walls.  The place is done up pretty nice. On to the food!
The waiter was interesting to say the least.  He responded any request made with a "Thank you".  What?  Yes, this is not a typo, "Can I have some water please?" "Coming right up, thank you".  The first few times, I thought for sure this guy is messing with us because we showed up 45 minutes before the restaurant closed.  But there were more than 50 instances of him doing so, far more effort than any prank would require.  He was very prompt and accurate though.  On to the food already!
Ok, so we ordered some egg rolls, they were ok, probably give them 8/10.  Not sure what could have made them better, but at least they tasted fresh.  I ordered the Pad Thai with tofu as the main entrée.  Both the appetizer and entrée came promptly.  Some background behind me and thai food.  I have tried to make it a point to try thai food, specifically pad thai any chance I can get.  I'm not going to say I am a thai food or even a thai cuisine expert, but I know good thai food from downright nasty.
This pad thai (asked for extra spicy) was not extra spicy.  It was barely spicy.  However, it was tasty, very tasty in fact.  I was quite impressed.  I hadn't had good pad thai as I had that night in quite some time.
We didn't opt for any dessert, plus it was already a bit past their closing time, so we decided to leave.  If I had room and time for dessert, I would have probably had the mango mochi or the great wall of (dark) chocolate.
As we were about to head out, he gave us two sealed envelopes with coupons inside which can only be revealed by the waiter on the next visit.  Apparently, they contain anywhere from $25 to $500 in gift certificates.


Spice Card
Atmosphere: A
Staff/Waiter: A+
Food: A



No comments:

Post a Comment