Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bab Al Salam

When I used to work close to this location, I used to go here all the time for lunch.  Lunches get semi-packed, but the service is always quick and the food is always wonderful.  I have only ordered two items off the menu for the countless number of times, the beef shawerma sandwich and the hummos.  The beef shawerma sandwich, I would say is a lot better than most of the beef shawerma sandwiches I had in Egypt.  
The place itself is not upscale by any means, but the waiters (usually somehow related to the owner) are always friendly and helpful.  It is also not rundown or grimy either; very simple.  
The meat has always smelled appetizing and tasted wonderful.  The pocket pita that wraps and envelopes the delectable pieces of shawerma meat is always fresh and warm, never like the substitutes for contractor-grade brick I've attempted at consuming before.  The pita bread that comes with the hummos, also the same quality as the sandwich bread.  One note of caution, they do put onions, which I personally like, at the  bottom.  Either this, or it shifts and falls through the pieces of meat from the top to the bottom similar to the ball that travels through the little lotto machine to eventually end its journey at the very bottom.  I prefer the tahini sauce drizzled and glazing my shawerma meat; while others do not, they have no issue putting it on the side if one so desires to carefully reconstruct the sandwich on their own with more proper amounts the customer prefers.
To give you a taste of how much I was craving it from the last time I had it (~1 month prior), I drove the Mrs. over 18 miles in the snow, uphill both ways while she was hungry and super reluctant to find out what this sandwich was all about.  Needless to say, we both walked out very happy and satisfied customers.




Spice Card
Atmosphere: B
Staff/Waiter: A
Food: A

1 comment:

  1. Makes me want to have a beef shawarma sandwich right now. Especially the part about the fresh pita bread.
    -Sloffa

    ReplyDelete